– Best of Alnwick – 

Alnwick Gardens

The Alnwick Garden is an award winning visitor attraction in Alnwick, Northumberland. The 12 acres of magnificent Gardens are home to the world’s largest Tai Haku Cherry Orchard, a Grand Water Cascade and the world’s largest Treehouse Restaurant.

Image of Dining at The White Swan Hotel in Alnwick - Best of Alnwick blog post

A lnwick Gardens is a formal garden complex adjacent to Alnwick Castle in the town of Alnwick, Northumberland. The gardens have a long history under the Duke of Northumberland. They were revived at the turn of the 21st century.

The garden features a variety of themed plants centered on a central water feature.

Alnwick Garden is owned by a charitable trust separate from the Northumberland estate. The 12th Duke of Northumberland donated 17 hectares of land and contributed £9 million to the cost of redevelopment of Alnwick Gardens.

History

The first garden was laid out in 1750 by the 1st Duke of Northumberland. He hired the renowned Northumberland gardener Capability Brown to design the park next to the Alnwick Museum.

The 3rd Duke oversaw the development of Alnwick Gardens. He brought in seeds from all around the world. In the mid-19th century, the fourth duke created an Italianate garden with a large conservatory. By the end of the century it was magnificent, with yew trees, avenues of linden trees and acres of flowers.

During World War II’s Dig for Victory campaign, the gardens were turned over to produce food. They fell into disrepair soon after the austerity measures. It was closed as an economic park in 1950.

Alnwick Garden on Best of Alnwick blog post

Redevelopment

The redesign of the gardens was initiated in 1997 by Jane Percy, Duchess of Northumberland. This was led by Belgian landscape architects Jacques and Peter Wirtz. It is the most ambitious new garden to be built in the UK since World War II, with a reported total development cost of £42 million.

The first phase of the refurbishment opened in October 2001. This included the construction of the waterfall and preliminary planting of the garden.

In 2004, a large treehouse building of 560 sqm with café opened. The pavilion and visitor centre, designed by Sir Michael Hopkins and Buro Happold, opened in May 2006 with a capacity of 1,000 people.

The pavilion and visitor center have a barrel-vaulted latticed roof. The garden includes several water features as well as architectural landscaping, topiary and decorative gates.

 

Alnwick Garden Cherry Tree Posters

If you want to get a feel for Alnwick, you can follow the Best of Alnwick social media profiles: